2 1/2 cups flour, sifted (preferably cake flour)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons red food coloring (2 oz.)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs.
5. Add buttermilk, vanilla extract, and red food coloring
6. In a small cup mix together vinegar and baking soda.
7. Add sifted ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients, then fold in vinegar and baking soda mixture.
8. Pour into cake pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool on rack for 10-15 minutes then invert pan on the cooling rack.*
10. Finally top with a Cream Cheese Frosting.
*Inverting the pan after cooling to warm prevents the layer from sinking and sticking to much to the pan.