|For my friend Gordon's birthday I cut a Apple® logo in the|
center a tribute to the most helpful friend and tech support.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cups white sugar
3 teaspoon salt
3 tsp of squeezed lemon
2 stick of butter
8-10 apples - peeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
pie crust recipe (x1.5)
1. Peel and core the apples. Slice into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Toss all of the apples with 1/4
cup of the sugar, place in a colander set over a large bowl and allow to drain for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
2. Transfer the drained liquid to a small saucepan, place over medium heat and reduce to 2 tablespoons. Set aside to cool.
3.Toss the apples with the remaining sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
5.Place the apples into the unbaked pie shell in concentric circles starting around the edges, working towards the center and forming a slight mound in the center of the pie.
6. Pour over any liquid that remains in the bowl.
7. Roll out the second pie dough as the first.
8. Place this dough over the apples and press together the edges of the dough around the rim of the pie. 9. Brush the top crust with the reduced juice everywhere except around the edge of pie and trim any excess dough.
10. Place the pie on a half sheet pan and bake on the floor of the oven for 30 minutes.
11. Transfer to the lower rack of the oven and continue to bake another 20 minutes or until the apples are cooked through (but not mushy).
12. Remove to a rack and cool a minimum of 5 hours or until almost room temperature.
13. Serve and enjoy with a large family or group of friends!